25 September 2008

Hand to the plow

It seems that in the natural order of things, something old must go for something new to happen. Before the beauty of spring, there must be autumn where the leaves turn color and die in the winter. Before the miracle of a child is introduced into the world, there is tremendous pain (and some may say suffering in the nine months previous to that.) Before you reap the fruits of the harvest, you had to spend hours being patient. Your energy was poured into something that may not show evidence of your work until the final moments.

The hardest things in life -- mostly the good things -- require work. And for the good things to exist in our life, sometimes we have to give up what we think is merely good - the old habits, the stubbornness, the old memories -- anything that keeps us from moving ahead.

There is a sacred scripture that reads, 'Anyone who puts their hand to the plow is not fit for the kingdom of God.' The first time I read that, I said, 'So what?' And then one day I read it again, and I understood what it meant -- Be serious about your journey. Look ahead. You cannot drive forward while looking in the rear view mirror. You will crash.

This blog entry all of us who struggle to let go of the comfort of old pain, hopelessness, revenge, bitterness, abusive addiction, and slow, but crippling habits. It is also inspired by those in Liberia whom I've met who have experienced all of that, but just somehow put their hand to the plow, and don't look back because they know a miracle is right around the corner.

1 comment:

marianasoleil said...

well said .....this post meant alot to me and encouraged me... thanks!