04 September 2008

31

Yesterday was my 31st birthday. I didn't expect much in the way of celebration, but as it goes in Africa, expect the unexpected.

Is this the look of 31?



A mosquito gave me a birthday kiss the night before. And if you know me at all, you will know that I am allergic and very prone to mosquito bites.

Don't worry, its not Quasimodo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. Just me.

My roommate Ellen had printed out a beautiful card for me. She had my patients in wards A and B sign it. All the VVF ladies, Kossie, his mom, everyone. Even Baby Fiumo in Bed B11 signed it. Suddenly, this baby is more literate than most Liberians at his tender age of six months. Hm, maybe it had something to do with dayworkers who helped?

What a surprise it was when I opened my door! Kyung Jin and Ji Hee from Korea had decorated the hallway and left brownies for me.



It was so beautiful and so much thought was put into it.

Arriving at my office....

Different people started signing the stars. I received so many well wishes.



I received visitors all day long. Eddie the baker dropped by twice. Once with some really fancy looking rolls....



...and then another time with a creation that took my breath away. Now this is ingenuity!



A star-shaped Chinese egg tart with a caramel shell over it, complete with a sugar-cinnamon twist. My taste buds thanked him later.

It was so heart warming to open up my email and receive all your wonderful birthday wishes. Chris sent me a song that he wrote, produced and recorded. It was very special. Thank you so much!

During lunch time, I fixed myself up some noodles that my mom so lovingly sent me in a birthday care package. Noodles represent 'longevity' she wrote on a post-it note. I made myself a nice hot bowl and sat in the open air and watched the falling rain. It was a moment of gratitude indeed. (Thank you, Mummy!)



In the afternoon, I visited the ward. I was greeted with some really fancy and colorful works of art from the patients!



Each of them in ward B had colored a birthday cake for me. Sekou and his little friend started singing Happy Birthday to me right away. Their joy was so uplifting to me. In retrospect, I think I was speechless. I don't quite remember the moment. But I remember how great they made me feel.



The day ended with dinner at a local restaurant. About seven other friends and I enjoyed a really tasty Lebanese meal. Eunok baked a cake for me. As you can see, Ji-Hee is quite proud of it, and so was I.



When they cut the cake for me at the restaurant, they sang to me in four different languages (Korean, Dutch, German and Liberian English).

I went to bed with my heart and stomache full. Birthdays always remind me how crucial good friends are to me. On a day by day basis, it is so easy for me to take others for granted. I am so humbled by all of you who always go the extra mile for me.

Thank you for giving me your love. Because of you, I call myself blessed.

1 comment:

Nelly the Dog said...

Happy birthday!!!

Perhaps we can knit, bake, and be merry upon your return to the States. :)

xoxoxo
-Kelley