Well, they don't call it the Windy City for nothin' (though I've heard that that isn't a direct descriptor for Chicago's weather, but its politics). Anyway, due to the wind, I was delayed flying out of SFO. Which, if I were pitching you a script right now, I would say, "And then hijinks ensued!" Said hijinks caused me to miss my transfer to Brussels,miss my transfer to Liberia, misplace my bags and sit here at Etap Hotel blogging from a communal computer. I'll be leaving Friday from another flight to Liberia. I've almost forgotten that that was my final destination!
Belgium is very rainy, very dreary. My hotel room faces a humungous field of what looks like smashed grain, remants of crop circle making perhaps, if you believe in that sort of a thing.
Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers. I am doing ok, but would like my stuff soon (who am I kidding, I want it now!). There were a few moments where I felt a bit alone. Through the wonders of the internet, I received many comforting emails from my siblings and mother. Chris found this hotel for me and it is perfectly European, which is to say, small.
I have already seen alot of good things come out of my mishaps of three missed transfers. For example, I met a really cool nun. We chatted for a bit and she gave me a card and asked me to call her when in Rome. She reassured me that everything would be okay and that God was in control. I almost burst into tears. I was seated next to a young military man who insisted on putting Neosporin on his new tattoo. The fact that he was trying to show off his arms was not missed, though such a thing didn't really appeal to me especially when I asked him about the meaning of his artwork and why he chose it. His response was, "I think its a Celtic thing." After some lively conversation about his post in Rome, he then took a ton of NyQuil and slept.
Amongst other fortunes would be seeing Brussels tomorrow, being able to rest and not get on a plane yet again. Also, because I got rerouted through London, I get more airmiles. Additionally, I never met nicer folks at an airport than the Belgians. God bless them, they are so efficient and friendly.
The hotel here is modest, clean and just right. I felt the bed for firmness. After 24+ hours of being in constant transit or in an airport, I hear it calling my name. More to come.
Thanks everyone for your prayers and good thoughts and advice!
26 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh no Michelle! Thank God you were able to get into a hotel, though! I have a big long email coming to you soon!! I love you, I miss you, God is definitely in control!! :)
Post a Comment