Today was my last day at work. It was two and a half years ago that I stepped foot into the Academy. Never would I have imagined that it would foster so much worth, comfort and stability in my life. And never did I know how much I needed all of those things until it is now over.
It is always the people who make places remarkable. When humans can actually add to the process of creating beauty in life, the collaborative effort proves to be such a powerful thing. We are bonded together in a mysterious mission, I suppose. Sometimes, unconsciously. And for all the deadlines, paperwork, eye-rolling moments that day to day office life can have, it is a precious thing that friendships are forged at all. People make fun of the water cooler talk that happens, but I think those moments are where relationships can actually be formed and I don't underestimate it.
I found a receipt the other day from 2005. On the back was a short journal entry that I scribbled while sitting in the parking lot of the Academy. Thoughts, fears, maybe a prayer of sorts. Just needing some strength. Cos it was the first day of school, and while I had a great interview, I had no idea what to expect. I do not know why I was so nervous - I am not typically nervous about jobs or new people. The fears were unfounded, of course, because 2.5 years later, the experience turned out to be probably the best job I've ever had. I'm going to keep that little receipt - it was an answered prayer.
And here we are. Goofing off. My going away lunch.
My coworkers created a framed collage for me and signed the borders. All the kind words sort of lift me up and out and towards the next step, the next day. It is incredibly humbling to be thought of anything more other than just ... me. This little girl who has an idea about how the world can be like. Maybe not "should" because I don't know think things will be perfect on this earth. After all, that's the business of Heaven. But still, to have people who support your ideals about justice, love and purpose - well, only the blessed have that experience. And that I am.
Thank you to all my friends, my family at GF/MC. I think of each of you uniquely, fondly and I thank you for adding to my life.
20 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so wonderful your coworkers could share with you their love and support and well wishes. Between this and your other going away party, I pray you carry their thoughts and love for you always. You mean so much more to us and God than you can ever fully realize (but I hope you catch really vivid glimpses and cling to them in hope and love and friendship). Be lifted, my friend. You are loved and amazing.
Post a Comment