Frequently Asked Questions
"Why am I here? What happened to your old blog, 26.2? What's with the URL about Liberia? Is Javier Bardem's hair real in No Country for Old Men? Huh?"
First of all, welcome!
And, secondly, though the URL only has a little to do with Ricky Martin - ok, nothing to do with Ricky Martin, you're at my cyber home until until mid-October, 2008.
"What? What's a cyberhome? Where are you going?"
I know that 2007 has been often times a terrific and sometimes adventurous (to say the least?) year for all of us. And, at least for myself, 2008 will be nothing short of that. So what do we say? Bring it on! I am ready.
At the end of March 2008, I will embark upon my six month service to Mercy Ships. Marked by their compassion and love for the needy in third world countries, Mercy Ships has helped over 1.9 million people in the form of medical care, job training and community empowerment. Distinct to this organization - and to my service - are the hospital ships that provide mobility and flexiblity. The work that Mercy Ships there range from simple dental procedures, major facial reconstruction and cleft palate surgeries to healing VVF (Vesicovaginal Fistula) which is a common gynecological condition in third world countries.
"Whoa. That's weird... but cool! AWESOME! What will you be doing?"
I'll be doing general receptionist work, front desk stuff. I really hope to be visiting and talking to people who are on the boat. As I have an inclination towards the arts, I want to have informal but regular knitting and sewing groups if its possible. Liberian women have a tradition of sewing, so I'm sure I will be learning from them! Oh, and I'll be living on a ship with 400 people.
"That's more intense than Javier's hair."
Yes, well, I want to be completely dedicated and focused in service. I cannot and will not believe that some people have the right to be more fortunate than others. I believe that we have the power, corporately and individually, to provide everyone with basic human rights. Tangible things like an education, health care and electricity. And then the rare intangible things that can only be given through the toil of love and from the gut - dignity, respect, hope and love itself.
Please remind me of all of this when times get tough. Could you do that?
"Zzzzzz....zzz
Hello?
"Oh, yeah, sure! Sorry. This is awesome, can we be praying for you? Are you taking sponsorships?"
Since you've read all the way down here, thank you! And thanks for asking. I would absolutely love for you to be partnered with me in spirit! I am raising $5500 for my lodging/crew fees for my six month stay. I would love regular supporters, one time donors, spare change - anything. The donation is tax deductible. I have a long way to go! And as for prayers ... that's invaluable. Absolutely invaluable. Please do.
I'm still thinking of doing a sock marathon. It will involve knitting. Therefore, it'll be good.
"Will you knit me something?"
Yes. It's free upon donation.
"Smarty pants!"
Thanks for reading. Come back often, please!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OMG!! That's so awesome!!! I'm so proud of you for doing something that you really want to do. Wow - that's so awesome. :) I'm all gushy. Will you be swinging by the YAY area before you go? HUGS!!!
If you want to read some personal perspectives on ship living and mercy ships I would suggest looking at the following personal blogs at http://mercyshipslinks.blogspot.com
And by the way, you can catch my wife and I (my wife is a Cali girl and so are some of my relatives, but alas I am from Alabama) at http://tyroneandstephanie.com
I try to keep the links updated on the mercyshipslinks blog site for people just such as you, or friends and family that you have that want to read personal accounts.
Also, you can see what I am cooking on the ship by visiting http://AFMmenu.com
WOW! this is amazing, Michelle!! I'm so...not worthy. I will say a prayer for you and your journey. Peace be with you! prue
Post a Comment