05 August 2008

Hey China!

'Zhe zhe!' Kossie yells at me. He's speaking Chinese and wants to learn more.

Kossie had two severly clubbed feet. His legs were like arches and he has been 'walking' around like that for ten years now. He went through two major operations to have that straightened out. And straightened out they are, as Kossie is presently always seen in a wheelchair, his two legs sticking straight out from underneath him. But the thing people notice most about him is that infectious smile.



I've befriended his mother Hawa, a school teacher from Sierra Leone, their country. She loves to knit. They will be here for 3 months while he heals.



Whenever he sees me, he yells, 'China! Hey China!' I've taught him some Chinese phrases in Mandarin and in Cantonese. His accent is very good!

He knows how to say, 'Thank you', 'I don't want any more' and 'Hello.'

The other day he wanted to learn how to say, 'I want my slippers.' I think he stumped me on that one as far as Mandarin was concerned.



He's also learning how to use a digital camera. Fingers off the lense, please!

No comments: