14 February 2008

Celebrities are more the most important people in the world.

Does the above statement feel wrong to you? Something about it isn't right. Celebrities: I am talking about the Britneys, the Toms, the Jessicas, the Hannahs and the Montanas. The rich, the beautiful, the (sometimes) talented, the controversial, the sexy, the glamorous, the people who seem to have perfect pores. The immortalized. We buy their records, we read their gossip, we fuel their fodder, we watch their movies. We want to date them, we want to sleep with them, we want to know them, we wish we were them. So does the above statement still feel wrong to you?



Then how about, "Celebrities are more important than the average person."

Something about that is still not right. Somehow its saying that certain people hold more value than the next, for whatever x factor. And how does one qualify, really? What is the currency to gaining this importance? Let's alter it one more time.

"We would treat a celebrity with more care than the average person."

Ok, now we're talkin'. I can relate to this, at least. Having worked in the movie and music industries for over 10 years now, I completely understand the feeling of being around the Britney, the Tom, and sometimes, the Hannah (and Montana). I have answered the phone calls of celebrities, delivered packages for celebrities, brought in coffee for celebrities, picked out houses for celebrities, written thank you notes to celebrities, walked the red carpet with celebrities and most recently, find the measurement of a celebrity's neck. Yes. And though it all, I handled them with kid gloves. With politeness, laced with a nervous tinge that they had the power to be offended (and thus, me, stupid and fired) Because in this business, you are as indispensable as you are wealthy. And if my bank account could talk, I would be pretty dispensable!

All three of the above statements should feel totally and completely wrong to you. It should jar something in your soul. Inscribed into your being (mine and everyone else's) is God's face. He has not picked out some people to be special, and the others to just watch. No, in His eyes, we are valuable, capable, acceptable, lovable, and forgivable (as my mentor Marvin would say.) The beauty of this is, it doesn't take money, sexiness, talent or an education to receive this. God just gives it to us. And it is a challenge to accept it but it is ours and does not change depending on our ability. Upon God's character, He loves us always.

As I think about leaving in a month, I realize how my world now will starkly contrast with the world in Liberia. I reflected on this this past Sunday when I was at the awards show with Chris. We looked out the window, as we sat in traffic, waiting to get into the Staples Center. A black Hummer with tinted windows slipped right in front of us. It was more special. It carried a celebrity. They're special, apparently. And while a rich person's money never solved self esteem problems, it is the currency of our world on this side of Heaven. (And yes, they need the message of God's love too!)

It is my prayer and hope that I would treat everyone with the "kid gloves" while I am overseas. That I would speak into the lives of everyone around me about their value in God's eyes.I have no perceptions of going over there to think I am doing someone some huge favor. I don't need to be memorable, but I do want to be useful and that is my hope. For the poor - whether materially or spiritually.

Well. Knitting marathon this weekend!. Should be awesome. Taking lots of photos. Come back for a play by play next week. Thanks for dropping by!

No comments: